Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cast of Characters Vol 3-- Superguide



Interweb followers, meet my buddy, the guide of guides. Joe W.

A small story to explain how I met Joe. One night Joe, his beautiful GF and I went out for barley sodas and Ke'lah inquired about how Joe and I met.

Joe and I, in unison...sheepishly..."the internet"



Yes, we met on a fly fishing chat board. How modern eh?

Besides being a member of the fish obsessed tribe, Joe can also claim membership in the large human club. When he and I hit the rivers, at least we can intimidate the fish with our collective size.

Guiding for the better part of a decade, Joe can be found especially keyed in where the steelfaces are running hot. Summer time finds him in Montana, throwing the big bugs and scoring ridiculously big fish for his clients. Like this one



Seriously, fishing with this guy only makes me better. Its like when you're 10 years old and you go play hoops with the kids in Jr High. Playing out of your league forces you to raise your game.

You kind of have to step back and just watch how artful and skillful he is with a fly rod, especially a spey rod.




This isnt the first time he's interweb-famous. Take a peek at this story from the Fly Fish Chick



So here's to you Joe. Cant wait to fish with you again!

1 comment:

  1. What's the deal with large stature and fly fishermens? I met Joe in a chat room a couple years ago, and finally met him in person this year while fishing with another buddy of mine who is 6'8". Everyone I seem to fish with is at least a foot taller than me. I sense a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete