Thursday, December 17, 2009

Craft Stores...not just for bead freaks


So where did I find myself this weekend in search of undiscovered fly tying materials

The craft store.

The only word that sums up this experience …awkward

Right now it’s tying season. Time to restock our respective boxes, dream up new fly designs and in turn, find new materials could, just maybe, become the key ingredient in a new fly pattern that becomes the “it “ fly.

Now imagine this, all six eight and 260 of me, wandering down the isles of a local crafting store, looking for new materials that might make the wings of a stonefly new catch more light or create a better water silhouette , trying my best to look inconspicuous amongst the walls of sewing patterns, blankets materials and craft store aficionados. I felt like I was in a foreign land

You should have seen the blank stare of the sales associate as I tried to explain that I was looking for 6mm beads to include on a new idea I had for a steelhead nymph. By her reaction you would have though I asked for a stack free hundred dollar bills.

No lady, I’m not crazy, I’m just a fishing geek, expanding my horizons…..

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately Craft stores are wising up to our needs and although they stock some incredible materials they have started bumping up the prices of curtain objects similar to fly shops. I always tell the assistant that I'm looking for something for my 2 little girls which seems to do the trick than if I wanted to expand my pike fly arsenal.

    Merry Xmas and a nice read.

    ReplyDelete