Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Elephants Eat Peanuts...



























The biggest steelhead of my life ate a bug just like this.  Over 40 inches, it damn near ripped the rod out of my hands by eating a bug that was, in comparison, like an elephant eating a peanut

When we first began this journey of fly fishing for steelhead, I assumed that everything needed to be big and bold.  Full of flash and substance.

Attach a chicken to a hook and hold on, like it needed to be the neon buffet sign to get them to eat it.

How wrong I was.

The truth is now during dryline season, through learning and trial, I force myself to try sparser and smaller flies.  Flies that you'd look at and say...."no way"

Sure, they're going to eat the big bugs but it's more exciting when an elephant eats a peanut.

No comments:

Post a Comment