Thursday, March 12, 2009

Days 4-6....Epic
















On Day 4, it was time to rip some lip...and the fish gods smiled on our whole group

Paired with my father and super guide Nestor, we found ourselves on the lagoon side of San Pedro with a score to settle with Mr. Macabe

As you can see, Nestor drives really fast. Also please note....the beard decided it had a mind of its own. Shit grows like weeds man, weeds

Right away, Nestor had us on fish. I threw the skunk off my back by 9am, and away we went....catching bones pretty much the whole day. There is NOTHING like a bone coming up following almost up to when your leader hits the guides and then slams your fly.



Highlights of day 4 include the picture above, when wading along a beautiful extended flat without Nestor (he went back to get the panga) I spotted a group of cruisers a hundred feet or so out from us. Slowly stalking, my dad and I got to about 60 feet. As it was his turn, I played marker, he laid out a beautiful cast with his crazy charlie and the fish engulfed the fly



That was a special moment. Little did we know that much more was in store

We ended the day mostly wading to cruising schools of bones, and keeping our eye out for Permit. We had a killer double (photo's on OMR's camera) and I believe we touched about 10 fish each between my dad and I. All was right with the world


OMR Ver 2.0 (my uncle Larry) and I were paired together with superguide Tayo for day 5 of 6. We had the pleasure to fish with Tayo last year for 3 days. He straight works his ass off. Clouds came in overnight and we decided to stretch out the motor, head for Long Caye and try our luck at baby Tarpon and Snook. We had shots right away, but throwing a 10 weight and hitting a dime with a fly the size and shape of a chicken is difficult at best. But to throw out one of my favorite movie quotes. "If it was easy, it just be the way"




Tayo sneaking us back into the Mangroves of Long Key

3 times we threw at tarpon and 2 times at snook....and I find it's a hell of a lot like big game hunting. Watching, searching, waiting for the opportunities and all of a sudden...wham..there they are. Now, calm your nerves, work some line out, battle a cross wind and hit a spot under the mangrove overhang thats about 2 feet wide. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. Last year when we hooked them...its like corraling a fart. Good luck keeping them out of the mangroves, cause thats what they dive for when they need to

To end the day, Tayo took us to the lair of big bones, his secret spot as we made out way back from Long Caye. That's when lightening in a bottle happened


See the inlet to the right of my butt. So I bomb a cast into there, into what I think is a fresh mud. Strip, Strip, St--bammmm. Fish on, and with a strike that made me realize what a big fish this was. Down the mangrove line this sucker went, then doubling back into that very inlet where he came from. Once entered, he took a left and hung up on the shoots of the mangroves. All I could think was, "this fish is history" but somehow, I turned it around and back out he came, the third time he put me into my backing. When Tayo scooped it up for a photo, I was speechless.....by far the biggest bone I have ever caught, estimated at 6-7 lbs



OMR Ver 2.0 ended the day with a big boy too, around 3-4 pounds that rode him hard and put hime to be smiling away




So your thinking what can we do to top Day 5 on the last day

First off....news we were going with the Doctor of the Flats--Omar Areco

Day 6 will have to be an entire blog entry to itself. Everything came together right for one of the most epic days of fishing I have ever had

A little taste for you to wet you whistle with

No comments:

Post a Comment